These wonderfully indulgent meringue hearts are sure to melt your Valentine’s heart.
They have been piped into shape; if you don’t have a piping bag, spread into heart shapes with a round bladed knife. The meringues can be made the night before and kept in cool dry place. Add the cream and raspberries about 45 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Finishing time: 10 minutes
- 1 egg white
- 50 g (2 oz) caster sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 15 g (1/2 oz) pistachio nuts, very finely chopped
- 100 ml (31/2 fl oz) double cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons sparkling white wine, optional
- 100 g (4 oz) raspberries
- 1 tablespoon redcurrant jelly
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 110°C, 225°F, gas mark half.
- Draw 4, 8 cm (31/2 inch) heart shapes on to a piece of non-stick baking paper then use to line a baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg white in a large bowl until stiff but still moist looking peaks and you feel confident enough to turn the bowl upside down without the egg whites sliding out.
- Gradually whisk in the 50 g (2 oz) sugar, a teaspoonful at a time until it has all been added then whisk for two more minutes until very thick and glossy.
- Fold in the pistachio nuts then spoon the mixture into a piping fitted with a 1 cm (1/2 inch) plain piping tube.
- Pipe a border around each heart shape then fill in the centres of two of them.
- Use any remaining mixture to make a spare heart in case of breakages.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until the meringues are firm and can be peeled off the paper easily, then leave to cool still on the paper.
- When ready to serve, whisk the cream with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar and the lime rind until just beginning to hold its shape then gradually whisk in the wine, if using, until thick once more.
- Transfer the filled in meringue hearts to a serving plate, top with the cream then arrange the raspberries on top, adding the heart shaped frames at an angle.
- Warm the redcurrant jelly with the lime juice in a small bowl in the microwave for 10-20 seconds then stir until smooth.
- Drizzle over the raspberries just before serving.
There will be loads of Spring berries from Spain around for Valentine’s ....
Recipe and photo credit by - Seasonal Berries