Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Cooling time: 1-2 hours
For the roulade
- 4 large egg whites
- 250 g (9 oz) caster sugar, plus a little extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) double cream
- 4 tablespoons lemon curd
- 150 g (5 oz) raspberries
- 225 g (8 oz) strawberries, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 190oC/375oF/Gas Mark 5.
- Line a 33 x 23 cm (13 x 9 inch) Swiss roll tin or roasting tin measured across the base with a large rectangle of non-stick baking paper, snipping diagonally into the corners of the paper then pressing into the tin so that the base and sides are lined.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl until stiffly peaking and the bowl can be tipped upside down without the egg whites moving in the bowl.
- Gradually whisk in the sugar a teaspoonful at a time then continue to whisk for a minute or two until thick.
- Mix the cornflour and vinegar together then fold into the meringue.
- Spoon the meringue into the paper lined tin, ease gently into an even layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes until well risen and just beginning to colour then reduce the heat to 160oC/325oF/Gas Mark 3 and cook for 5 minutes or until just firm to the touch and beginning to crack.
- Put a teacloth on to the work surface, cover with a sheet of non-stick baking paper and sprinkle with a little extra sugar.
- Invert the hot meringue on to the paper, remove the tin and leave to cool for 1-2 hours.
- Peel off the lining paper from the meringue.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft swirls then spoon over the meringue.
- Spoon the lemon curd on top then sprinkle with the red berries.
- Roll up the meringue, starting with one of the narrowest edges, using the paper and teacloth to help.
- Carefully transfer to a serving plate and remove paper and teacloth.
- Serve cut into thick slices with extra berries, if liked.
Recipe and photo credit by Seasonal Berries