Delicious little potato, corned beef and beetroot cakes that are perfect for a family supper dish. Serve these little cakes with baked beans for an added five-a-day boost or, with some steamed seasonal greens.
* 800g boiled potatoes
* 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
* 1 x 140g tin of corned beef, finely diced
* 1/2 jar of Baxters Baby Beetroot, finely diced
* Salt and pepper to taste
1. Mash the potatoes in mixing bowl and then add the corned beef and beetroot mix well and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Wet your hands, and then shape the red flannel hash mix into small cakes, like fish cakes; you should be able to make eight cakes, depending on size, but these can be adjusted according to your families’ requirements for adults and children.
3. Heat up the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over a medium to high heat, and when the oil is hot, add the red flannel hash cakes and then turn the heat down to low - medium.
4. Cook the cakes on one side for 3 to 5 minutes, until they are crispy and golden brown, and then gently turn them over with a fish slice and continue to cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, before serving them immediately.
5. NB: These cakes are best made 1 hour ahead of time and chilled in the fridge before cooking, this makes them easier to handle and less likely to break up in the pan.
Nutritional value per serving (2 Hash Cakes):
Kcals = 283
Carbs = 37g
Total Fat = 10g
Saturated Fat = 2.7g
Protein = 13g
Guest post Credits- Baxters