202 calories / 15.6g fat per portion
- 250g (9oz) chicken livers
- 110g (4oz) Kerrygold butter, now softer
- 50g (2oz) peeled and finely chopped shallots
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp chopped thyme leaves
- 75ml (3fl oz) port
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Tomato salad, to serve
- Melba toast, to serve
- First trim off any greenish or white sinewy bits from the chicken livers.
- Melt 15g (½ oz) butter in a large frying pan on a low–medium heat and, when it starts to foam, add the chicken livers.
- Cook for 2–4 minutes on each side; cooking time will depend on the thickness of the livers, but they should still be slightly pink inside.
- Remove the livers to the bowl of a food processor and set aside.
- Melt further 15g (½ oz) butter in the same frying pan over a medium heat, add the shallots and garlic and cook for 6–8 minutes until slightly golden.
- Tip in the thyme, port and brandy and continue to cook until the liquid has reduced to approximately 2 tablespoons.
- (Be very careful when adding the alcohol, as it may flame, so stand well back and make sure you pre-measure it – don’t hold the bottle of brandy or port directly over the hob.)
- Place the shallot mixture in the food processor with the chicken livers, making sure to scrape the pan to get all the juices in.
- Whiz everything together until smooth then allow to cool completely.
- Cut half of the remaining butter into cubes and add to the chicken livers, whiz together again and season to taste.
- Spoon into a serving bowl and smooth the top.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter and pour a thin layer over the surface.
- Cover with cling film, and chill in the fridge until set.
- Allow to come up to room temperature before serving with tomato salad and melba toast.
- Make in individual pots or ramekins if you prefer.
- Keep chilled and eat within 2 days.
This recipe comes from a collection of 6 brand new and exclusive recipes created by Rachel Allen featuring in The Kerrygold Community Recip-e-book. For more recipes please visit Kerrygold