By Bill King
391 calories / 31.5g fat per portion
Maria says: ‘This simple-to-make cake is rich and tasty – a family favourite with a touch of class!’
For the cake:
- 175g (6oz) Kerrygold butter
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 15g (½ oz) cocoa powder
- 50g (2oz) dark chocolate chips
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
For the topping
- 110g (4oz) dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 110g (4oz) Kerrygold butter
- fine shreds of orange zest, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Line a 20cm (8 inch) round cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, beating well between each addition.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder, then fold into the mixture with the chocolate chips and orange zest.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Bake for 50- 55 minutes or until a fine skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the topping
- Melt the chocolate and Grand Marnier or Cointreau in a heatproof bowl positioned over a saucepan of gently simmering water.
- When fully melted, add the Kerrygold butter a little at a time, stirring to combine.
- Allow to cool and thicken, then spread over the cake using a palette knife and sprinkle with fine shreds of orange zest.
- If you’re not keen on adding alcohol to the topping, simply leave it out, or add 2 tbsp double cream instead
About this post-
This is a free guest post by-
Bill King’s recipe has been taken from the Kerrygold Community Recip-e-book, available for free download now! Visit Kerrygold UK for more delicious recipes and to download your free copy.