Every year at Christmas I treat myself to a bottle of eggnog. Today I'm sharing a guest post on how to make your own yummy drink created by Masterchef winner Mat Follas accredited to the happy egg co.
- 6 happy eggs
- 60g caster sugar
- 600ml milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- 150ml plain yogurt
- Don’t be scared of raw eggs in eggnog; we gently cook them in this recipe.
- Place 4 happy eggs, 2 happy egg yolks, caster sugar and milk in a saucepan.
- Heat slowly whilst stirring continuously; bring the temperature up to 72°C then remove the saucepan from the heat and keep stirring until it has cooled to around 60°C, this will take about 5 minutes.
- Once it is below 60°C, pour the mixture through a sieve to capture any overcooked lumps.
- Add the vanilla extract and the nutmeg, stir and refrigerate the mixture.
- Once cool, add the plain yogurt and gently whisk together for a delicious and refreshing eggnog.
- You can add other flavours in place of the vanilla and nutmeg and/or use double cream in place of the yogurt.
- Adults might want to add some rum or bourbon too for a grown up drink.
- Use double cream instead of yogurt if you’re adding alcohol.