I love, love, love lemon cake and today Im sharing a Elderflower & Lemon Drizzle Cake as a guest post from Belvoir.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45-50minutes
- 225g/8oz butter, softened
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g/8oz self raising flour, sifted
- zest and juice 1 lemon
- 100ml/4floz Belvoir’s elderflower cordial
- 30ml/ 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ Fan160C/Gas Mark 4.
- Grease a (20cm) round, deep loose-based tin and base line with baking parchment.
- Place the butter sugar and lemon zest in a large bowl.
- Use an electric whisk to beat the butter and sugar together untl they are pale and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, whisking well between additions and adding 2 tbsp of the flour with the last egg - this will prevent curdling.
- Sift over the remaining flour, then gently fold in with a metal spoon along with 2 tbsp hot water.
- Spoon into the prepared tin, level the surface and bake for 45-50 mins or until it is shrinking away from the sides of the tin.
- A fine skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 5 mins.
- Squeeze the lemon juice, then sieve to remove the bits, stir in the cordial.
- Use the fine skewer to prick the cake all over, pour over the syrup then sprinkle over the sugar - it should sink in but leave a crunchy crust.
- Leave to cool completely, before removing the cake from the tin.
- Serve in wedges.
About this post -
Recipe and photo credit by Belvoir Fruit Farms