Mince Pies with a crumbly twist! ...yum, yum...
For the pie
- 150g butter
- 250g plain flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 orange
- pinch of salt
- 1 happy egg
- 1-2 tsp cold water
- 280g/10oz good quality mincemeat
- 100g butter
- 75g plain flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 1tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 nutmeg
- Place butter in freezer overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Put the flour into a mixing bowl.
- Using a cheese grater, grate the butter into the flour and add caster sugar, almonds, and salt; zest the orange and add, then gently stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- In a food processor, add the mixture, happy egg yolks and 1-2 teaspoons of water.
- Use a pulse action until it forms a soft dough, then place it in the fridge for 30 minutes, to chill.
- Roll out the pastry to a thickness of a pound coin and with a round cookie cutter, cut out about 20 rounds.
- In a non-stick tartlet baking tray, press the rounds into the tray and spoon the mincemeat evenly into the pies.
- Make a crumble topping by quickly mixing the butter, flour, cinnamon and caster sugar in your food processor until it forms a crumble.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the pies, grate some nutmeg over the top and bake in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.