Fresh raspberries and shaved asparagus turn an everyday rice salad into something more exotic and festive.
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 20-25 minutes
- 200g (7oz) easy cook brown rice
- 50g (2oz) wild rice
- 6 small red onions, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100g (4oz) red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 200g (7oz) cold roast turkey, diced
- 150g (5oz) asparagus, trimmed
- 175g (6oz) raspberries
- Large handful of rocket leaves
- 2 tablespoons redcurrant jelly
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200oC (400oF), Gas Mark 6.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil, add the brown and wild rice, bring the water back to the boil then simmer for 20-25 minutes until just tender.
- Drain into a sieve, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Meanwhile, add the onions to a small roasting tin, drizzle with the oil and roast for 25-30 minutes until softened and golden around the edges.
- Add the redcurrant jelly, vinegar, mustard and lemon rind and juice to a small saucepan.
- Season with salt and pepper then whisk over a low heat until the dressing is smooth and the jelly has melted.
- Leave to cool.
Recipe and photo credit by Seasonal Berries