These wonderful savoury muffins make the perfect light lunch or appetiser to enjoy with friends this winter.
Combine sifted flour, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl with sugar, Parmigiano Reggiano and spinach. Beat together egg, milk and vegetable oil and stir into the muffin mixture. Spoon the mixture into muffin cases, top with Parmigiano Reggiano and bake until golden.
- 75g (3oz) Parmigiano Reggiano
- 250g (9oz) plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 100g (4oz) spinach, cooked, cooled and chopped
- 1 egg
- 240ml (8fl oz) milk
- 90ml (3fl oz) vegetable oil
- Grate the Parmigiano Reggiano finely, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / fan oven 170°C / Gas Mark 5.
- Put eight paper muffin cases into a muffin pan, or line them with squares of greaseproof paper
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the sugar, about two-thirds of the Parmigiano Reggiano and the spinach.
- In a large jug, beat together the egg, milk and vegetable oil.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients.
- Using a metal spoon, stir until just combined.
- You must not beat this mixture or stir it too much.
- It should be quite lumpy, but there should be no traces of dry flour.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and sprinkle the remaining Parmigiano Reggiano on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden.
- Serve whilst warm
Recipe and photo credit by-
The Consorzio del Formaggio Parmigiano ReggianoPhotography: Steve Lee
Recipe and Food Styling: Sue Ashworth, Dialogue Agency