Lemon cake anyone? I must admit, I am a huge cake fan and I love a bit of lemon cake, yummy!!
Lemon drizzle cake is amongst my favourites, that is why I am sharing a slice with you today 🙂
What you need:
- 2 eggs
- 175g / 6oz caster sugar
- 150g/ 5 & half oz soft margarine
- Plus extra for greasing
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 175g/6oz self raising flour
- 125 ml/4 fl oz milk
- Icing sugar for dusting
For the syrup:
- 140g/5 oz icing sugar
- 50ml/2 fl oz lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180c/350f/gas mark 4.
- Grease an 18-cm/7-inch square tin and line with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the eggs, caster sugar, and margarine in a mixing bowl and beat hard until smooth and fluffy.
- Stir in lemon rind, then fold in flour.
- Stir in milk, mix evenly, then spoon into the prepared cake tin, smooth so nice and level.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to touch.
- Remove from the oven and stand the tin on a wire rack.
To make the syrup:
- Place the icing sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan and heat gently, stirring until all the sugar dissolves, do not boil.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer, and spoon the hot syrup evenly over the top, allowing it to be absorbed.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin, then turn out the cake, cut into 12 pieces and dust with a little icing sugar before serving.
This is not my recipe all credits go to The Big Book Of Baking.
What do you think?
Are you a fan of cake?
Do you like lemon cake too?
Fancy trying a slice of this lemon cake?