Race Day Blues …

My biggest fans are my children!!

They are great at cheering me on!!

Go mum!!

I got chance to do a race last week the first one in about three months. After a great month of running in July doing at least a mile every day, I was ready to race?

I managed to clock up 156 miles for the month my highest ever monthly total.

The only downside of running often being, I was worn out!! As my 2 eldest boy’s wanted to race I thought I would give it a go.

Tired or not..

It was a really warm night and I did not feel like running exhausted and feeling sorry for myself but in the end i decided to race.As you do!!

The first few strides I got a bad stitch and was suffering in pain for the 1st mile.

I usually go of too quick but not this time, I looked around before the 1st mile marker to find I was not far from last place.

At this stage I was going to give up as I was really struggling and I did not want to get left on my own in the middle of nowhere.

Then my Garmin watch beeped at the mile marker so I looked to find it said 9 minutes for the mile ( I was expecting it to say 12 minutes) !!

It was like a weight was lifted, the stitch went and this time gave me the confidence to know I could get some time back.

4.77 miles race:

• Mile 1= 9.00 minutes.
  • Mile 2= 8.03 minutes.
  • Mile 3= 8.09 minutes.
  • Mile 4= 8.51 minutes. (mostly uphill)
  • last 0.77= 7.48 minutes.

Average pace 8.24!! Pleased with that!!

Mile 2 felt great the stitch had lifted and I managed to keep overtaking people which was a great feeling.

Even towards the end of the race I was seemingly flying by the other runners.

There was one guy running who was perhaps doing the same as me and set off slow and was overtaking others like me.

For the last 2½ miles this guy was with me stride for stride.

He did get a bit   lot annoying as he kept swaying in front of me and i could not shake him off.

Why can’t people give you your own space? Lol.

The road was wide!!

With about ½ mile to the end I went for it and left him in my dust!!

I managed to pass a few others as well.

Now roll on the next race without the stitch!!!

Me sprinting to the end…

Me and my older 2boys after the race…

Since this race I have only just recovered,.

Not from the race.

From the bite on the leg I got!!

My leg was in pain all week and very swollen.

Anyone got any tips how to keep the insect bites away would be greatly received …

Linking up with Mumentum:

Claire

1. Julia
    August 8, 2011 / 5:20 pm

Congrats!! Never heard of a race of that distance but it's something I might be comfortable with! Following from Monday Mingle

2. Michelle
    August 8, 2011 / 7:18 pm

Great job, Claire Justine! So many of you ladies out there inspire me! and it's so great that your boys run with you. Have a great Monday!MichelleHeartfelt Balance Handmade Life

3. Clairejustine
    August 8, 2011 / 7:44 pm

Thanks for the comments 🙂

4. Laura
    August 8, 2011 / 7:57 pm

Great Job! One of my goals this year is to run a mile without stopping and you are such an inspiration! And I love that you get to run with your boys, how cool!

5. Clairejustine
    August 8, 2011 / 8:16 pm

6. CityGirl
    August 8, 2011 / 8:41 pm

Geewizz! I am so impressed with your running! I am running my first race tomorrow (its a 10 kilometer…not sure what that is in miles!) and I'm pretty nervous :)But you have inspired me to give it my best shot!xxhttp://citygirlsearching.blogspot.com/

7. Clairejustine
    August 8, 2011 / 8:54 pm

Thank you citygirl all the best for your race and remember to enjoy it and you will do great 🙂

8. Good Girl Gone Green
    August 9, 2011 / 2:38 am

Congrats on your race!! That is so awesome!

9. eof777
    August 9, 2011 / 8:14 am

Hi,Bravo on your completion of the race!Today is Follow Me Back Tuesday and, as one of the guest hosts, I'm following your blog and extending a warm hello to you. I do hope you will follow me back too.Have a great day!Elizabeth

10. Clairejustine
    August 9, 2011 / 8:18 am

Hi Elizabeth,i am a follower and left a message but for some reason the message has not show up so i will pop back later to check thank you 🙂

11. laura@imnotatrophywife.com
    August 9, 2011 / 1:08 pm

Hi Clairejustine- What a pretty name! Okay, i'm new via the bloghop!And, i'm going to love your blog. I have not run any races since a turkey trot a few years ago! My daughter is in highschool and runs xc. I'm thinking I need to get her and I into a fun {short} race! Would love a follow back! I'll be back, for sure! laura@imnotatrophywife.com

12. Nekky
    August 9, 2011 / 1:37 pm

What a race. I used to run and now I think it's time to pick up my running shoes again.

13. Clairejustine
    August 9, 2011 / 7:56 pm

Thanks Laura and Nekky i hope you get your trainers out again soon 🙂

14. Clairejustine
    August 9, 2011 / 7:58 pm

Laura i tried to follow but i am already following 🙂