As it is not too far away from the party season, I though what a great time it would be to share these champagne velvet’s with you!!
- 175g/6oz blackberries
- 50g/2oz caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp
- 6 tbsp brandy
- 1 bottle chilled Champagne or sparkling wine
- Reserve 6 of the blackberries and put to one side for decoration.
- Place the remaining blackberries with 50g caster sugar in a saucepan.
- Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved then simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened slightly and is syrupy.
- Sieve the blackberry syrup over a bowl, gently pressing with the back of a spoon.
- Discard the fruit pulp.
- Chill the syrup.
- Place a little of the syrup on a saucer and the remaining caster sugar on another saucer.
- Dip the rim of each of 6 champagne glasses first in the blackberry syrup, then in the caster sugar.
- Blend the brandy with the remaining blackberry syrup and pour a couple of tablespoons of this into 6 Champagne flutes.
- Top with the chilled Champagne or sparkling wine.
- Skewer a blackberry with a cocktail stick and place on top of each glass.
- Serve immediately.
Do you fancy trying these out?
Recipe and photo credit by- Seasonal Berries