Orange And Cinnamon Crumble Topping Mince pies….
Preparation time – 20 mins
Makes approximately 12
- 375g shortcrust pastry
- 250g good quality mincemeat
- 50g plain flour
- 4 tbsp demerara sugar
- 40g butter
- finely grated zest of ½ orange
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- One or two 12 hole patty tins.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/fan 180ºC fan oven/gas 6.
- Thinly roll out the pastry and using a 7.5-9cm pastry cutter, cut out as many disks as you can, re-rolling the trimmings as you go.
- Press the disks into the holes of one or two 12 hole patty tins.
- Spoon a couple of teaspoons of mincemeat into each pastry case and set aside.
To make the crumble topping:
- Rub together the flour, demerara sugar, butter, orange zest and cinnamon until you have a chunky crumble mixture.
- Scatter over the top of the mincemeat and place in the oven for around 15 minutes or until the mince pies are golden and the tops are crisp.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes before taking out of the tins.
- Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar to serve.
- For those who aren’t lovers of mincemeat, a delicious alternative is to replace it with some apple pie filling, and make as above with the crumble topping.
Recipe and photo credit by- Leisure