Banana Tart Tartin…
- 160g Caster Sugar
- 160g Butter, in small pieces
- 60ml Dark Rum
- 600g Puff Pastry
- 4 large, slightly unripe Bananas
- Saturate the sugar with 60ml of cold water and melt gently.
- Add the butter and melt over a medium heat, shaking the pan to blend the butter with the sugar.
- Boil to a medium dark brown caramel, but do not let it burn.
- Take off the heat and stir in the rum.
- Pour the caramel into 8 cast iron pans or tins that are big enough to fit a banana.
- Spread the caramel with the back of a spoon to level it out.
- Roll the pastry out to 3mm thickness.
- Peel the banana and slice in half lengthwise.
- Lay the rounded side onto the pastry and cut around the banana leaving a 1cm border.
- Turn the bananas over and press the pastry to the sides of the banana and trim away any excess, then place flat side down on the caramel.
- Rest in the fridge.
- Bake at 200°C until the pastry is crisp and golden (approx. 10mins).
About this post-
Recipe and photo credit by- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort and Spa