Braised Beef and Clementine’s…
- 1.35kg (3lb) Lean beef brisket rolled joint
- ½x5msp (½tsp) Mixed spice
- ½x5mlsp (½tsp) Cinnamon
- 15mlsp (1tbsp) Olive oil
- 2 Clementine’s
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 300ml (0.5pt) Mulled wine
- 15mlsp (1tbsp) Soft brown sugar
- 100g (4oz) Self-raising flour
- 50g (2oz) Suet
- Mini Christmas pudding (weighs about 75g, 3oz), cut into small cubes
- 25g (1oz) Dried apricots, chopped
- 25g (1oz) Dried cranberries, chopped
- Cold water to mix
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c
- On a plate mix together the mixed spice and cinnamon.
- Roll the joint in the spices until coated all over.
- Heat the oil in large ovenproof pot, add the joint and brown on all sides.
- Cut one clementine into quarters, and push the cinnamon stick through the centre of the other.
- Add the clementine’s, mulled wine and sugar to the joint.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and place in the oven for about 2 hours.
- When cooked remove the joint from liquid, cover with foil and allow to rest.
- Meanwhile make dumplings: Place the flour, suet, Christmas pudding, apricots and cranberries in a bowl together and mix.
- Add a few tablespoons of cold water, using a fork mix together to form a dryish dough which draws together.
- Knead lightly.
- Take small spoonfuls of the mixture and form into about 10 balls.
- Drop these into the cooking juices and return to the oven for 15 minutes until fluffy but crisp on top.
Recipe and photo credit by – Meat And Health