Braised Red Cabbage with Blackberries.
Perfect with roast turkey.
Blackberries make a great British alternative for this colourful side dish.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
You will need:
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) red cabbage, quartered, woody core cut away, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 150 ml (¼ pint) apple juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 225 g (8 oz) blackberries
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring until softened.
- Stir in the red cabbage then the sugar, vinegar, spice and apple juice.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook gently on the hob for 20-30 minutes, stirring from time to time until the red cabbage is tender.
- Add the blackberries and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Spoon into a serving dish, serve with roast turkey, chicken or casseroled lamb or beef.
- This can be made earlier in the day and reheated in the pan or heated in the microwave.
Recipe and photo credit by- Seasonal Berries