Cheese and Leek Croquettes…
- 75g grated Cathedral City Mature
- 1kg floury potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, washed, trimmed and finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the coating:
- Plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 50g grated Cathedral City Mature
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water for 15 minutes until soft.
- Drain them thoroughly and mash.
- Leave to cool.
- Sauté the leek in a tablespoon of olive oil until soft but not brown.
- Add the sautéd leek, the grated Cathedral City and egg yolk to the mashed potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper, then mix well.
- Using your hands, roll the mixture into 16 croquettes and chill for 1 hour or longer.
- Dip the croquettes into the flour, followed by the egg and finally into the breadcrumb and cheese mixture.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan until steaming hot.
- Fry the croquettes over a gentle heat for about 4 minutes, turning them regularly until they are golden brown all over.
- Best served warm.
Recipe and photo credits- Cathedral City