Coffee Chicken with a hint of smoked paprika….
Serves 4 -8
Prep time 15 minutes
Cooking time 40-60 minutes
- 4-8 chicken thighs or legs with skin on and trimmed
- 1 tbsp smoked ground paprika
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 4-6 stalks fresh thyme
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp Douwe Egberts Inspirations Kenyan Sunset coffee dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- 500ml red wine
- salt and pepper
- a little runny honey to taste
- a little flour
- Trim the chicken and leave the bones in.
- In a bowl mix together the first 6 ingredients, then toss in the chicken pieces and leave to marinate for 1/2 -1 day covered in the fridge.
- Stirring occasionally.
- In a heavy based pan add and heat the oil, add the onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes or until just soft then add the garlic.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove the onions from the pan and fry the chicken on all sides until golden brown.
- Stir back the onions.
- Pour in the coffee, wine, seasoning and a little honey to taste.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat. Cook the chicken with a lid on for 45 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Once cooked put the chicken and vegetables into a serving dish.
- Skim the sauce in the cooking pan and sprinkle over the flour and whisk well.
- Season to taste adding a little extra honey if required.
Serve with seasonal vegetables.
Guest Post Credits – Douwe Egberts