Douwe Egberts Coffee Snow Balls…
Makes 2 large ones or 3 smaller ones
Prep time 10 minutes
Cooking time 2-3 hours plus cooling
- 3 large egg whites,
- 175g equal quantities of caster sugar and icing sugar, sifted together
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp Douwe Egberts Pure Gold coffee, sifted finely using a tea strainer
- 1 tbsp chopped walnuts, (optional)
- In a grease free mixing bowl using an electric whisk whisk up the egg whites until the mixture stands in stiff glossy peaks.
- Gradually fold in the sugars and salt a table spoon at the time.
- Continue whisking until very stiff and shiny.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Fold the coffee into the meringue to give a marbled effect, Using two spoons make either 2 or 3 even sized meringues and sprinkle over nuts if using.
- Bake in the oven 110C or gas mark 1/4 for 2- 3 hours until crisp and firm, (the longer you cook them the crispier they will be in the centre) but still white in colour.
- Cool on a tray.
- Peel off the parchment paper and serve, Store the cooked meringues in an air tight-box.
Recipe and photo credit by- Douwe Egberts