Douwe Egberts Coffee Sticky Toffee Pudding…
Prep time 20-25 minutes
Cooking time 2 hours
- 250g Medjoo dates, halved and stoned
- 120ml hot coffee made with 1tbsp Douwe Egberts Pure Gold coffee
- 80g butter at room temperature, plus a little for greasing
- 140g light soft muscovado sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 170g self raising flour.
For the sauce:
- 250ml double cream
- 1 tsp Douwe Egberts Pure Gold coffee dissolved in 3 tsp water
- 2 tsp black treacle
- Chop up the dates and put into a small bowl, Pour in the coffee water and stir well.
- Leave the dates to macerate for 2-6 hours.
- Grease and base line an 11/4 litre heat proof bowl.
- Fill up a steamer with water or a large pan with a lid 1/3rd full.
- Beat the sugar and butter together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the vanilla and the eggs slowly beating with a wooden spoon.
- Fold in the flour and the dates.
- Spoon date mixture into the basin.
- Cover the top of the pudding with a double thickness of greased foil with a pleat down the centre in to allow the sponge to rise during cooking.
- Put on the lid on the pan and steam for 2 hours.
- Keep checking the pan to make sure it does not boil dry.
- If the water level is low just top up with hot water not cold.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by putting all the ingredients into a heavy based pan and stir up to the boil.
- Once boiled reduce the heat and cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until it coats the back of the wooden spoon.
- Once the pudding is cooked, loosen with a knife and invert onto a serving plate.
- Remove the parchment paper and pour some sauce on the top of the pudding and serve the rest in a jug.
Recipe ad photo credits –Douwe Egberts