Yummy Mini Blueberry Tarts anyone?
For the pastry:
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 40g/1 ½ oz icing sugar
- 40g/1 ½ oz caster sugar
- 175g/6oz chilled butter
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 small orange
For the filling:
- 25g/1oz caster sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g/4 ½ oz blueberries
- 75g/3oz cream cheese
- icing sugar, to decorate
- Sift the flour and sugars into a mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces, stir these into the flour and then rub gently with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix the orange rind and juice together, then stir into the flour mixture, using a knife, until the dough just begins to stick together.
- Gather up the dough and pat into a ball, cover with food wrap and chill for 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat the oven to 220 C/425 F/gas Mark 7.
- Lightly grease a 24-hole mini muffin tin.
For the filling:
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Wash the blueberries, shaking off the excess water, add to the sugar and spice mix, stir so that it sticks to the blueberries.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pastry.
- Using a 7.5cm/3″ fluted pastry cutter, cut out 24 rounds, re-rolling the pastry if necessary.
- Line the greased pastry tin with the rounds.
- Place half a teaspoon of cream cheese in the base of each then top with the blueberries, pushing them down slightly.
- Bake for 8 minutes until the pastry is lightly golden.
- Allow pastries to rest in the tin for 5 minutes before carefully removing.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve warm with brandy- flavoured whipped cream.
- These pastries freeze well, warm in the oven before serving.
Recipe and photo credit by- Seasonal Berries