Mini Christmas Cakes…
Makes 4 mini Christmas cakes
£2.58 per portion
- 175g (6oz) butter or margarine
- 175g (6oz) light brown sugar
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp Dr. Oetker Natural Almond Extract
- 75g (3oz) ground almonds
- 175g (6oz) plain flour
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
- 300g (10oz) sultanas
- 175g (6oz) dried cranberries
- 150g (5oz) glace cherries
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 225g (8oz) Dr. Oetker Ready to Roll Regal-Ice White Icing
- 200g (7oz) Dr. Oetker Ready to Roll Golden Marzipan
- 2 tsp clear honey
- Dr. Oetker Silver Balls
- 4 x 25cm (10in) lengths cake ribbon
- Place a roasting tin of cold water in the bottom of the oven then preheat the oven to 150°C (140°C fan oven, 300°F, Gas 2).
- Grease and line a 19cm (7in) square cake tin, and wrap the sides in a double layer of brown paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter or margarine and sugar together until pale and creamy then gradually beat in the eggs, and stir in the Natural Almond Extract and ground almonds.
- Sift the flour, nutmeg and Baking Powder on top and add all the fruit.
- Carefully mix all the ingredients together and then spoon into the prepared tin.
- Smooth over the top and bake in the oven for about 1 ½ hours until lightly browned, slightly risen and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool in the tin before removing.
- Discard the tin linings and wrap in fresh paper and foil and store for 3 days before decorating.
Three days before serving:
- Lightly dust the work surface with icing sugar and roll out 100g (4oz) Regal-Ice Icing to a thickness of 5mm (1/4in).
- Using assorted snowflake cutters stamp out 12 snowflakes, re-rolling as necessary.
- Place on a board lined with greaseproof paper and set aside in a warm, dust free place, to dry.
- When dry, carefully peel off the paper and place on a wire rack.
- Pipe a small dot of writing icing in the centre of each snowflake and place a silver ball on top.
- Put aside until completely set, then cover lightly until ready to decorate the cakes.
- When ready to serve the cakes, discard the storage wrapping from the cake.
- Using a 7cm (3in) round pastry cutter, push down on top of the cake within 1cm (1/2in) of the edge to make 4 circles – you may need to trim up the edges with a knife.
- Divide the marzipan into 4.
- On a work surface lightly dusted with icing sugar, roll each piece into a circle to fit the top of the cake.
- Brush with a little honey, secure a Marzipan circle on top and trim to neaten.
- Divide the remaining Regal-Ice Icing into 4 and roll each piece to fit the top of the cake.
- Brush the Marzipan with a little water and secure the Regal-Ice Icing on top, trimming as necessary.
To finish :
- Secure a piece of ribbon round the side of each cake and arrange the snow flake decorations on top to serve.
- For a less almondy flavour, replace the almond extract with the same quantity of Dr Oetker Vanilla Extract.
- For longer storage before marzipan and icing, wrap the cake as described and freeze for up to 6 months.
- Allow the cake to defrost in the wrappings before finishing.
Recipe and photo credit by- Dr Oetker