This colourful, healthy and tasty brunch idea can be part prepared ahead of time and then be ready in moments.
Prepare and cook the tomatoes and the pumpkin seeds the day or evening before and you’re ready to go.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1- 1 and a half hours
- 8 tomatoes on the vine, halved crossways
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil – rich in omega-3
- 3 tablespoons (30g) pumpkin seeds – rich in omega-3
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 200g lightly smoked salmon – rich in omega-3
- 200g bag baby leaf spinach – rich in lutein
- 4 large eggs at room temperature – rich in lutein
- 4 English breakfast muffins, halved
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C/150C fan/Gas mark 4.
- Place the tomatoes, cut side up on a wire rack sitting on a baking tray.
- Mix the garlic and rapeseed oil with some seasoning and spoon over the cut sides of the tomatoes.
- Leave to slowly roast for about 1 hour or up to 1 hour and a half.
- Place the pumpkin seeds in a small ovenproof non-stick frying pan and heat, tossing over the heat for a couple of minutes, until they smell toasted and they start to pop.
- Remove from the heat and add the soy sauce, stir with a wooden spoon until the liquid has evaporated.
- Place in the oven with the tomatoes for 10 minutes, so they dry out and remove to cool.
- When ready to serve, bring a saucepan of water to the boil and turn down until it’s barely a simmer.
- Create a whirlpool with the end of a wooden spoon and then break the eggs in one at a time, don’t worry if it looks like they’re cooking together, they will separate again when set.
- Leave them completely alone for 4 minutes (5 minutes if you like them less runny) and then drain each one and place on kitchen roll to dry.
- Whilst the eggs poach, microwave or steam the spinach for 2 minutes to wilt and toast the muffins.
- Place two toasted muffins halves on each plate, arrange the spinach, tomatoes and salmon on top and finish with a poached egg and a sprinkle of the roasted pumpkin seeds.
441 cals – 22%
8.5g sugar – 9%
23g fat – 33%
4g sat fat – 20%
2.9 salt – 48%
Lutein – 5.6mg
Omega-3 Fats– 1.5g
Recipe and photo credit by- I Caps