Stilton on Horseback….
As Stilton matures and becomes smooth and creamy, it develops a sweetness that partners especially well with prunes.
For this simple appetiser – perfect for a summer canape – pitted prunes are filled with Stilton and celery, wrapped in bacon and grilled.
- 175g/6 oz Stilton mature cheese, rind removed, cut into 16 pieces
- 2 stalks celery, thickly sliced
- 16 large pitted prunes, no need to soak
- 225g/8oz sweet cure bacon strips
- Make a cut down the side of each prune, put a piece of Stilton into each prune and wedge in with slices of celery.
- Cut the strips of bacon in half, wrap the prunes and set onto a rack ready for grilling.
- If you are preparing in advance, refrigerate for up to 24 hours until ready to grill.
- Allow 10-12 minutes under a moderate grill, turning once. Serve warm with cool drinks.
Serves 4 – 6
Recipe and photo credits- Stilton Cheese