Now I just have to share this recipe….
There will be no excuses not to scoff your sprouts this Christmas, if you tuck into a wedge of Weeton’s of Harrogate’s new ‘Christmas Dinner Cake’ made from all the trimmings – minus the turkey.
The Christmas Dinner Cake – which was baked exclusively for Weeton’s by its multi-award winning cake supplier Allison Whitmarsh, of Proper Maid in Huddersfield - contains carrots, parsnips, cranberries, Christmas spices, chestnuts – and of course the sprouts.
“We all know that vegetables are great in cakes but who knew you could get an entire Christmas dinner in there!” says cake connoisseur Allison. “While the cake was baking there was a definite whiff of sprouts, but the end result is absolutely delicious – Christmas dinner never tasted so good!”
The Christmas Dinner Cake, which is topped with a cream cheese frosting and decorated with cranberries and white chocolate curls, will be available to try at Weeton’s café throughout December, plus this unusual sweet treat is available to order this festive season.
And in case you want a slice of the action at home…
…that Christmas Dinner Cake recipe in full!
7″ Cake serves 6-8
- 185g Wholemeal Chapatti Flour
- 135g Soft brown sugar
- 55g Dark brown Sugar
- 1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp. Mixed Spice
- 1 tsp. Bicarbonate of Soda
- 30g Cranberries
- 30g Chopped Chestnuts
- 2 Eggs
- 110g Vegetable oil
- 40g Sour cream
- 125g Grated Carrots
- 50g Grated Parsnips
- 50g Chopped Sprouts
- 50g Roses orange Marmalade
- 80g Philadelphia
- 40g Vegetable Margarine or Butter
- 40g Icing Sugar
- Cranberries and White Choc Curls to decorate
- Mix together the flour, sugars, bicarb, cranberries and chopped chestnuts.
- Add the eggs, sour cream and oil and beat well.
- Mix in all the grated and chopped vegetables and beat well again.
- Grease and line 2 x 7″ sandwich tins.
- Pour the prepared mixture into the tins.
- Bake 180°C for approx. 30 mins until cooked (test with the tip of a knife to ensure all the mixture is cooked through)
- Leave to cool.
- When cool spread the orange marmalade onto the bottom half of the cake.
- Mix together the Philadelphia, margarine/butter & Icing Sugar until smooth.
- Spread 80g of the prepared icing onto the top of the marmalade and sandwich together.
- Spread the remaining 80 g of icing onto the top of the cake.
- Decorate with cranberries and white chocolate curls.
Recipe and photo credit by-
Weetons is located at 23/24 West Park, Harrogate, HG1 1BJ, 01423 507 100