Sweet potato and ginger jam…
- Sweet potatoes
- Grated fresh ginger
- Peel the potatoes, place in a pan with some water and boil until soft.
- Drain the potatoes and mash.
- Weigh the potatoes and place in a heavy base pan with an equal quantity of sugar.
- Place on a medium heat and bring to the boil stirring occasionally, add the ginger to taste, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for at least 10 minutes, carry on cooking until the desiderate consistency has been reached
- Sterilise some jam jars by boiling them in water.
- Pour the hot jam into the hot sterilised jam jars.
- Leave to cool.
- You can also flavour the jam with lemon leaves or orange zest, vanilla, or try some rum (adults only).
- It is difficult to give exactly the right quantities for this recipe, so it’s easier to make it up as you go along which is perfect for making it your own!
- Also it does not have a specific setting point like most jams, so you can make it as thick or thin as you like it.
- The more you cook the jam the thicker it will become.
- It is worthwhile remembering that the jam will keep for a number of months so you can make it in reasonably large batches.
Recipe and photo credit by Love Sweet Potatoes