Preparation time: 10 minutes.
Cooking Time: 1hour 15 minutes.
- 6 kosher egg whites
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 300g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 100g dark chocolate, broken
- 100ml Alpro soya Alternative to Chocolate Milk
- 2 tbsp Alpro soya Alternative to Single Cream
- Preheat the oven to 140C/275F/Gas 1.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking parchment.
- In a very clean dry bowl. Preferably using an electric whisk beat the egg whites with the vanilla extract, cream of tartar and the white wine vinegar until they form stiff peaks.
- Add the sugar, a spoonful at a time, until the meringue is stiff and shiny.
- Gently fold in the cocoa powder.
- Using a piping bag and nozzle or a small spoon, shape the meringue on the prepared sheets.
- Place the trays in the lower part of the oven and bake for about 1 hour.
- The meringues are done when they will peel easily off the paper and feel firm to the touch on the underside.
- Once the meringues are cooked turn the oven off and open the door slightly, and let the chocolate meringue cool completely.
- This will ensure they dry out.
- The meringues can now be stored in an airtight container until ready to fill.
To make the sauce:
- Melt the chocolate, Alpro soya alternative to Chocolate Milk and Alpro soya alternative to Single Cream gently in a small saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and gradually beat until the sauce is smooth and glossy.
- Leave to cool and thicken.
- To serve, make a ‘sandwich’ using two meringues and the chocolate sauce as the filling.
- And leftover sauce can be served alongside the meringues and a bowl of fruit and served as a dip.
Recipe and photo credit by- Alpro soya