A healthy vegetarian egg fried rice that’s quick and easy to prepare.
Serves: 4Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 18 minutes
- 300g basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed oil – rich in omega-3
- 2 large eggs – rich in lutein
- 60g seed mix (pumpkin and golden linseeds) – rich in omega-3
- 1 bunch (8) spring onions, chopped
- 120g shiitake or chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150g frozen soya beans –rich in omega-3
- 100g baby leaf spinach –rich in lutein
- 1 tablespoon (25g) hoi sin sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30g) reduced salt soy sauce
- Place the rice in a large saucepan with 600ml of cold water.
- Bring to a boil and cover, cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes and leave off the heat, still covered for a further few minutes.
- In a large (26cm) non-stick frying pan, heat a tablespoon of the oil.
- Beat one of the eggs with roughly a third of the seed mix and cook in the frying pan for 1 minute, turn and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove onto a plate and repeat with the other egg and a third of the seeds.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in the same frying pan and stir-fry the spring onions, mushrooms and carrots for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, frozen soya beans and spinach for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly until the spinach wilts and soya beans cook through.
- Tip all the vegetables into the cooked rice in the large saucepan with the soy sauce and hoi sin and mix well.
- Roll up the seeded omelettes and cut into ribbons.
- Serve the rice in a bowl and top with the cooked egg ribbons and then the remaining seed mix to serve.
540 cals – 28%
7g sugar – 8%
20g fat – 27%
2g sat fat – 10%
1.1g salt – 18%
Omega-3 fats– 1.5g
Lutein – 2.8mg
Recipe and photo credit by – ICaps