Grilled Pear, Endive and Crottin de Chavignol toasts with Caramelised Walnuts….
Serves 4Prep time 20 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
Pre heat grill to medium
Approximate cost per portion £2.50
- 4 Crottin de Chavignol (mild or mature depending on your taste)
- 100g walnuts
- 2 firm pears
- 4 heads yellow endive
- 50g brown sugar
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Juice and zest 1 orange
- 50mls olive oil
- ½ baguette
- 50mls white wine (optional)
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 50g basil leaves
- Runny honey to serve
- Heat a large non-stick pan on the stove and add in half the sugar.
- When the sugar starts to brown and caramelise, add in the walnuts pecans.
- Coat them well in the sugar them pour out on to a plate and allow to cool.
- Cut the baguette into 8 thin slices.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil, sprinkle with salt and grill, on one side only until golden.
- Peel and cut the pears into halves.
- Remove the core and then cut into 16 wedges.
- Dust the pears in a little icing sugar and place onto a large flat non-stick tray.
- Cut the endive in halves and place onto a flat oven to table tray or dish, cut side up with the pears.
- Drizzle with olive oil, orange zest and half of the orange juice.
- Place the toasted slices crispy side down onto the tray, with the endive and the pear.
- Drizzle each slice with a teaspoon of white wine if you wish.
- This gives a little extra flavour.
- Cut each Crottin de Chavignol in half and place one, cut side up onto each of the baguette slices.
- Drizzle with a little more olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place under the grill for 10 minutes.
- Once the cheese has started to bubble and melt, the pear is slightly golden and the endive is crispy around the edges, remove from the grill.
- Scatter the walnuts over the grilled salad, tear over a few basil leaves, sprinkle with the pomegranate seeds and drizzle with honey and olive oil.
Recipe and photo credit by- French Goats Cheese