Red Onion and Roast Cherry Tomato Soup with Pesto Croutons…
- 1.250kg/ 2lb 12oz cherry tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 red British Onions, finely sliced
- 10 basil leaves
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Brown sugar
- 250ml/9floz vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 slices of ciabatta bread, torn into pieces
- Preheat oven to 220C/375F/ Gas No 5.
- Put the cherry tomatoes, garlic, 2 onions and basil onto a tray and drizzle with 2 tbsp oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 30- 40 minutes until the tomatoes are browned.
- Mix the pesto, 3 tbsp olive oil and bread together in a bowl, ensuring the bread is evenly covered.
- Spread the croutons onto a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes in the oven with the tomatoes.
- Turn the croutons and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Put to one side.
- Put the rest of the olive oil in a pan and gently fry the onions for 10- 15 minutes, add the vinegar & sugar.
- Cook for a further minute.
- Liquidize the roast tomato mixture.
- Add half the fried onion and stock.
- Reheat the soup & check the seasoning.
- Serve with pesto croutons and garnish with the remaining fried onion.
Recipe and photo credit by- British Onions