Lisa Faulkner’s Bran And Blueberry Muffins…
Makes 18Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 250 g (9 oz) wholewheat flour
- 200 g (7 oz) natural oat or wheatbran
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch salt
- 450 ml (3/4 pint) natural yogurt or buttermilk
- 180 ml (6 fl oz) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 100 g (4 oz) light muscovado sugar
- 350 g (12 oz) blueberries
- Line 18 sections of two muffin tins with paper cases or grease lightly with a little oil.
- Mix the flour, bran, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and a little salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the yogurt or buttermilk, oil and vanilla to a second, smaller bowl then add the eggs and sugar and fork together until smooth.
- Add to the bowl of dry ingredients and fork together until just mixed.
- Add the blueberries and mix briefly, being careful not to overmix.
- Divide the mixture between the sections of the muffin tin.
- Bake at 200oC (400F) Gas mark 6 for about 20 minutes until tops are firm when pressed.
- Lift out of the tin, transfer to a wire rack and serve while warm, or leave to cool completely.
Recipe and photo credits- Seasonal Berries