Scallops with Asparagus Tips and Vanilla Hollandaise…
Ready in 30 minutes
- Knob of butter
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 100g pancetta, cubed
- ½ small fennel, very thinly sliced
- 16 asparagus tips
- 12 scallops
For the hollandaise:
- 2tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3tbsp water
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 peppercorns
- 3 free range egg yolks
- 160g unsalted butter (must be at room temperature), cubed
- 1 tsp Nielsen Massey Vanilla Bean Paste
- For the hollandaise, put the vinegar, water, bay leaf and peppercorns into a pan and simmer gently until reduced to about 1 tbsp, strain and add 1 tbsp water to it.
- Transfer to a glass bowl.
- Whisk in the yolks and vanilla.
- Place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Add a knob of butter, whisking until melted and the mixture has thickened slightly.
- Gradually add the remaining 150g butter a cube at a time, whisking after each addition until all incorporated.
- Cook for a further 1- 2 mins, until smooth and thickened, be careful not to overheat, add seasoning to taste.
- Remove from the heat and keep warm while you cook the scallops.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy-based frying pan, add the pancetta a fry over a medium heat for 2-3 mins until begin to release some fat.
- When golden and crisp, remove with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Then drain off the fat, add ½ tbsp olive oil and add the asparagus and fennel to the pan.
- Fry for 1-2 mins stirring occasionally.
- In a separate frying pan, heat ½ olive oil with a small knob of butter, when hot add the scallops and sear for 30 seconds-1 minute on each side depending on their size.
- Return the pancetta to the pan with the veg.
- Divide this between 4 starter plates and serve with scallops on top with the vanilla hollandaise drizzled over.
Recipe and photo credit by – Nielsen-Massey, the Vanilla specialist