Traditional Victoria Sponge Cake…
You will need
2 x 8” cake tins
- 150g Billington’s golden caster sugar
- 150g Allinson Nature Friendly White Self Raising Flour
- 150g butter or soft margarine (room temperature)
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tsp Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (350F Gas mark 4).
- Grease the cake tins with some of the butter or margarine and lightly dust with flour, place a circle of greaseproof paper in the bottom of each.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until the mixture turns white and fluffy.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs and vanilla extract while whisking continuously
- Sift the flour into the mix and then carefully fold in until it is all combined
- Spoon mixture into the cake tins (half in each) and bake for 20-25 minutes until springy to the touch and golden brown.
- Leave to cool.
- Once cool, spread the strawberry jam on the top of one layer and place the other layer on top.
- Dust the top with icing sugar
About this post – Recipe and photo credit by Baking Mad