Banana And Chocolate Loaf…
Banana and Chocolate Loaf : By Rachel Norris
372 calories / 19.5g fat per portion
Rachel says: ‘This is a firm favourite in our house as it’s so moist and full of flavour. It’s great to eat a couple of days after baking and is a really good pick me up.’
- Kerrygold butter, for greasing
- 225g (8oz) plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 ripe bananas
- 3 tbsp soured cream, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g (5oz) Kerrygold butter, softened
- 110g (4oz) soft light brown sugar
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 75g (3oz) dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- Preheat the oven to 160c, 325f, Gas Mark 3
- Butter the insides and line with buttered baking parchment of a 2lb Loaf tin ( 23cm x 9cm – 8cm deep )
- Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ground cinnamon together, then set aside.
- Mash 3 of the bananas in a bowl and mix in the soured cream and vanilla extract.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the Kerrygold butter and both of the sugars, until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs, beating well between each addition.
- Add the flour in 2 or 3 batches with the mixer on a slow speed, mixing well until throughly combined.
- Fold in the banana and soured cream mixture.
- Stir through the chocolate chips and spoon the batter into the tin and spread level.
- Peel and slice the last banana and toss in the lemon juice, scatter over the top of the cake.
- Bake on the middle shelf for about 45-50 mins, or untila skewer comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 10 mins and then brush the top with the runny honey.
- Leave for another 20 mins, then carefully lift out and set on wire rack to cool completely.
- If you like, serve the sliced cake spread with a little extra Kerrygold butter.
Photo and recipe credits-
Rachel Norris’ recipe has been taken from the Kerrygold Community Recip-e-book, available for free download now! Visit Kerrygold UK for more delicious recipes and to download your free copy.