Beetroot and chocolate go perfectly together. Did you know vinegar used to be added to eggless cakes during the war as a raising agent – so beetroot in malt vinegar is perfect for those sweet treats!
These are not as naughty as normal chocolate brownies, and you can be sure that you are all getting one of your five-a-day too, plus, they make PEREFECT school lunch box treats for the children.
(Makes 20 small squares)
- 1 x 540g jar of Baxters Baby or Sliced Beetroot, well drained and roughly chopped into small pieces
- 100g butter or margarine, softened
- 200g chocolate, minimum of 70% cocoa solids
- 250g soft brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4/Fan oven 160C.
- Grease and line a 20 x 30 baking or roasting tray.
- Break the chocolate up into small squares, put them into a microwavable bowl, cover and heat on high in the microwave for 2 minutes, to slightly soften them.
- Place all the ingredients into a large bowl and with a hand held electric mixer, whisk them all together for 2 to 4 minutes, until everything is amalgamated and there are no visible lumps.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tray and bake for 40-45 minutes or until well risen all over; the middle of the brownies should feel a little soft under the centre of the crust and may wobble a bit, this is fine as they will firm up on cooling.
- Cool completely in the tin, before cutting into squares.
- Make sure that the beetroot is well drained and if you wish, you can rinse them in some water; the vinegar flavour will not be discernible when you eat them!
Nutritional value per square:
- Kcals = 250
- Carbs = 30g
- Total Fat = 13g
- Saturated Fat = 7g
- Protein= 4g
Recipe and photo credit by – Baxters