As a big toad in the hole fan, I just love this idea!!
Cooking Time: 45 mins – 1 hr
To make 12 mini toads in the hole:
- 150g plain flour
- 2 large eggs
- 150ml milk
- 150ml water
- 2 rounded tblsp Sacla’ Fiery Chilli Pesto,
- plus extra to serve
- 6 thin slices pancetta, halved (works equally well with bacon)
- 12 cocktail sausages
- vegetable oil
- 2 small red onions, peeled & cut through the root into 6 wedges
- 12 small cherry tomatoes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- You will also need a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, then make a well in the centre, break the eggs into it and add some seasoning.
- Using a small whisk, whisk the eggs into the flour incorporating the flour around the edges as you do.
- Gradually add the milk and water and whisk until smooth.
- Add the chilli pesto and whisk again to combine.
- Set aside at room temperature whilst you cook the sausages – this is thought to improve the batter.
- Wrap the pancetta around the sausages and add to a small roasting tin.
- Drizzle over a little oil and toss to lightly coat.
- Cook on the middle shelf for about 15 minutes until the sausages are lightly browned and the pancetta has crisped up, then remove.
- Increase the heat to 220°C, 425°F, Gas Mark 7.
- Next, pour enough oil to just cover the base of the muffin tins and preheat for 3-4 minutes until searing hot.
- Arrange a sausage, a piece of red onion and a cherry tomato in each tin, and quickly pour the batter around them to three-quarters fill.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 20-22 minutes until slightly risen and golden – they will not rise much due to the addition of the sausages and vegetables.
- Loosen from the tins and serve straight away with extra pesto to taste.
Recipe and photo credit by – Sacla