Parmesan-Pesto Cheese Straws …
Cooking Time: 30 – 45 mins
Serves 12 Ingredients:
- 1 x pack ready-made all butter puff pastry (approx 375g)
- plain flour, for dusting
- 2 rounded tbsp Sacla’ Classic or Organic Basil Pesto or Fresh Classic Basil Pesto
- 2 rounded tbsp Sacla’ Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 110g Cheddar, roughly grated
- 25g Parmesan, finely grated
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- First of all dollop each pesto onto separate pieces of kitchen paper to soak up any excess oil.
- Cut the pastry into quarters and on a lightly floured surface roll each one out to make approx 16cm x 18cm rectangles.
- Spread 2 of the pastries with the basil pesto and the others with the tomato pesto, taking it right to the edges.
- Next, sprinkle the Cheddar and the Parmesan over the pastries and lightly press down with your hand to make the cheeses stick to the pesto.
- Cut the pastry into ½ cm wide strips – the mixture should make about 48 straws.
- Take each strip and twist each end in opposite directions until it is evenly twisted.
- Lay them well spaced apart on baking trays and then brush the plain part of the pastries with the beaten egg.
- Ideally leave to chill for 30 minutes, but if you can’t wait, bake the straws in a pre-heated oven (190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5) for 8-10 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Just scrumptious.
Recipe and photo credits Sacla