Strawberry Gin anyone!?…
Makes a great gift –
Unlike sloe gin, this strawberry version only needs 3 days to stand for the flavours to develop.
Strain and decant into a pretty bottle or several smaller ones, then add a handmade label and ribbons for a personalised Christmas gift.
Delicious served with ice and chilled tonic.
Makes 1 large bottle
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Standing time: 3 days
You will need:
- 450g (1 lb) strawberries
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 700ml bottle gin
- Very roughly crush the strawberries with a fork or potato masher then spoon into a wide necked glass bottle or le parfait style storage jar.
- Add the sugar then the gin, seal and give a gentle shake to mix.
- Leave the jar at room temperature for 3 days, giving the container a gentle shake twice each day to make sure that the sugar dissolves.
- Strain the mixture then decant into a clean, dry serving bottle.
- Seal well with a screw topped lid, cork or clip top.
- Decorate the bottle with a handwritten label tied on with ribbon or raffia.
- Serve in glasses with ice and tonic or add a splash to chilled sparkling white wine with a halved strawberry for a quick cocktail.
About this post- guest post by Seasonal Berries