Meringue Topped Mince Pies …
This twist on the traditional mince pie recipe includes a light, fluffy meringue top.
Preparation Time : 40 minutes
Baking Time : 20 minutes
Portions : 12
- 250 grams plain white flour
- 100 grams butter (cold and cubed)
- 25 grams lard
- 3 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 400 grams mincemeat
- Ice sugar (to dust)
- 2 free range eggs (whites only)
- Pinch salt
- 125 grams golden caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Almond Extract
- Place the flour in a large bowl and using your fingers, gently rub in the butter and lard until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- (or place in food processor and whiz until it resembles breadcrumbs).
- Add 2-3 tbsp of ice cold water, a little at a time, until it comes together in a soft dough.
- Knead gently into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220 °C (fan 200°C, gas mark 7).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half the pastry until 3mm thick.
- Take a 7.5 cm fluted cutter and stamp out 24 circles and use to line a 12 hole bun tins.
- Place a heaped tsp of mincemeat into each pastry case.
- Bake 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites and a pinch of salt to medium peaks in a mixer, then gradually add the sugar and the almond extract.
- Whisk until stiff and glossy.
- Spoon the meringue onto the pies and bake for 3-4 minutes until meringue is lightly golden.
Recipe and photo credit by- Nielsen-Massey Almond Extract