Fancy making some buns?
How about making some Clover Seedburst Hot Cross Muffins?
Preparation time: 45 minutes – 1 hour rising time
Cooking time: 18 minutes
For the muffins:
- 500g strong plain bread flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 75g light muscovado sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 50g Clover Seedburst
- 7g easy blend dried yeast
- 150g vine fruit mix
- 50g glacé cherries, halved
- 250ml milk
- 2 eggs
For the crosses:
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
For the finishing touch:
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- Extra Clover Seedburst, for spreading
- Line nine holes of a 12-hole muffin tin with large muffin paper cases or 14cm squares of baking paper to overhang the tin.
- Place the flour, salt, sugar and spices in a large bowl and mix together.
- Add the Clover Seedburst and rub in using your fingertips.
- Stir in the yeast, fruit mix and cherries.
- Warm the milk until just luke warm, then beat in the eggs.
- Stir into the flour mixture, to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead lightly and divide into 9 equal sized pieces.
- Shape each into a round ball and drop into the cases.
- Cover the tin loosely with lightly oiled cling film and leave in a warm place, for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C, Gas Mark 6.
- For the crosses blend the flour in a small bowl with the water to make a smooth paste.
- Spoon into a small piping bag and snip off the end.
- Pipe a cross on the top of each bun
- Bake for 15- 18 minutes until risen and nicely browned and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Warm the golden syrup in a small pan and generously brush the top of each bun.
- Serve warm or cold spread with Clover Seedburst.
- The buns are best eaten the day they are made.
Recipe and photo credit by Clover Seedburst