Ginger And Lemon Cake.
Makes 8 Generous Slices
You will need:
- 300g pack full fat cream cheese
- 125g/4oz icing sugar, sifted
- 175g/6oz unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 4 tsp Very Lazy Ginger Paste
- Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 175g/6oz self raising flour
- 4 tbsp English Provender Co. Luxury Lemon Curd
How to make:
- Beat the cream cheese and icing sugar together until smooth.
- Add enough lemon juice (about 2 tablespoons) to get a good spreading consistency.
- Chill until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C/fan oven 160⁰C/Gas Mark 4.
- Lightly grease and base line with greaseproof paper two 18cm/7inch sandwich tins.
- Cream the butter, sugar, ginger paste and lemon rind together in a large bowl until pale and well combined.
- Gradually beat in the eggs adding a little flour after each addition if the mixture starts to curdle.
- Sift any remaining flour over the mixture and fold in with a large metal spoon.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and level the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen golden and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Peel the paper off the backs of the sponges.
- Spread half the cream cheese mixture over the tops of each sponge right up to the edges.
- Drop spoonfuls of the lemon curd randomly over the cream cheese mixture then using a skewer or teaspoon pull through the lemon curd to create a swirled effect.
- Sandwich the cakes together and lift onto a serving plate.
- Decorate with fresh flowers or mini chocolate eggs.
About this post –
Recipe and photo credit by English Provender Co.