This tasty chutney can be prepared well in advance, and is a perfect compliment to gammon, turkey and beef, as well as pork or game pies.
Makes 2 x 450g/1lb jars
You will need:
- 450g / 1lb Bramley apples, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
- 225g / 8oz eating apples, peeled, cored and cut into large chunks
- 225g / 8oz red onions, peeled and sliced
- 25g ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ tsp peppercorns
- 225g/8oz granulated sugar
- 150ml / ¼ pint cider vinegar
- 350g /12oz blackberries
- Place all the ingredients except the blackberries in a large heavy-based saucepan.
- Gently heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the apples and onions are tender, the mixture has thickened and no watery juice remains.
- Add the blackberries, then cook for a further 10 minutes until they have softened but still hold their shape.
- Spoon the hot chutney into sterilised jars and seal.
- Store, unopened in a cool dark place for up to six months.
- Chill once opened.
- Serve with sliced cold meats.
Recipe and photo credit by – Seasonal Berries