Favourite combo …
Bring back childhood memories of jelly and custard with these fun looking two tone jellies, a clear fresh tasting strawberry jelly flavoured with cranberry and raspberry juice then topped with a second creamy custard layer.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Chilling time: 4 hours or overnight
- 300ml (1/2 pint) cranberry and raspberry juice
- 6 teaspoons powdered gelatine or 2 small packets
- 225g (8oz) strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 4 tablespoons water
- 500g (1lb 2oz) carton chilled readymade vanilla custard
- 150ml (1/4 pint) double cream
- Pour 150ml (1/4 pint) cranberry and raspberry juice into a small heatproof bowl, sprinkle over 3 teaspoons or 1 packet powdered gelatine and leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Stand the bowl in a saucepan of water and heat for 5 minutes until the gelatine has melted to make a clear liquid.
- Stir in the remaining cranberry and raspberry juice then the sliced strawberries.
- Spoon into the bases of 6, 250ml (8fl oz) individual jelly moulds, set on a tray.
- Allow to cool then freeze for 15 minutes or until the jelly has just set.
- Meanwhile, add the water to the rinsed heatproof bowl, sprinkle over the remaining gelatine and leave to soak for 5 minutes.
- Stand the bowl in a saucepan of gently simmering water and heat until it makes a clear liquid.
- Pour the custard into a bowl, lightly whisk in the cream then the gelatine in a thin steady stream.
- Pour this over the set strawberry jelly and chill in the fridge for 6 hours or overnight until set firm.
To serve, dip the moulds into a large dish of hot water, one at a time, count to 10 then lift out of the water, dip a finger in a little water and loosen the top edges of the jelly. Invert jelly mould on to a plate or small cake stand, jerk mould to release jelly then remove mould. Repeat with other jellies then serve.
About this post- This is a free guest post by Seasonal Berries