Mini Christmas Cakes…
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 180g Whitworths Sultanas
- 180g Whitworths Raisins
- 100g Glace Cherries
- 30g Candied Peel
- 50ml Brandy
- 100g Unsalted Butter
- 75g Dark Brown Sugar
- 100g Plain Flour
- 2 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 Small Orange, zest and juice
- ½ tbsp Black Treacle
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 50g Whitworths Flaked Almonds
- Soak the sultanas, raisins, glace cherries and candied peel in the brandy for 48 hours, in a covered bowl, before making the Christmas cakes.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C (Fan 120°C), Gas Mark 1.
- Use 25g of the butter to generously grease the twelve cups of a deep muffin tin.
- Beat the remaining butter until soft in a large mixing bowl and then stir in the sugar.
- Sift the flour and mixed spice together into the bowl and beat until evenly combined with the butter mixture.
- Add the orange zest and juice along with the black treacle and gradually beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Fold the alcohol soaked fruit and almonds into the batter and gently mix until evenly distributed.
- Spoon the mixture into the greased muffin tin cups.
- Fill to the top of each cup, but do not overfill.
- Bake on the bottom shelf of the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes.
- To test if the cakes are fully baked, insert a skewer or sharp knife into the centre of one of the cakes.
- The skewer should come out clean.
- If there is any mixture on the skewer return to the oven and continue baking until the skewer can be removed clean.
- Leave the cakes to cool completely before removing from the tin.
- Use a round bladed knife to loosen the sides if required.
- Store in a airtight container until required.
- To decorate, dust with icing sugar, wrap a festive ribbon around the middle of each cake and top with pomegranate seeds.
Recipe and photo credit by- Whitworths