We all love millionaires shortbread and especially anything with chocolate and yummy caramel in it.
My grandma always made it for me on special occasions and she knew how much I love it. She would also make me and my granddad a batch to share to surprise us often. After my grandad died she always carried on making me some up, even in her 90’s.
She made the best ever millionaires shortbread and when she passed away bless her, it was up to me to take over the baking it. However much I try I can never make it as good as hers was, my shortbread never turns out as good. I tried this recipe with a twist and replaced the shortbread for flapjack,, wow it tasted great.
- 125g Light margarine
- 50g Brown sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- 100g Golden syrup
- 270g Oats
- 375g Condensed milk
- 175g Light margarine
- 115g Caster sugar
- 3 Tablespoons golden syrup
You will need:
- Square tin 20cm X 20cm
- Margarine for greasing
- Baking paper
- Pre heat oven to 170c Gas mark 3.
- Add the margarine, sugar, salt and syrup in a large pan.
- Gently heat and stir until everything is melted and combined together.
- Mix in the oats and remove from the heat.
- Stir well.
- Grease and line the tin with baking paper ( I grease both sides so nor to stick in the tin or the flapjack to stick to the paper)
- Spread the mixture into the tin evenly.
- Cook for around 15 minutes until golden.
- Remove once cooked and leave to cool.
- Place the condensed milk, margarine, caster sugar and golden syrup in a medium saucepan and gently heat.
- Slowly bring to boil then simmer for 7-9 minutes, stirring constantly so not to burn.
- Remove the baking paper from the flapjack then return the cooled flapjack to the tin.
- Once the caramel has thickened pour the flapjack base.
- Leave to cool.
- Once cool place in fridge to set.
- Break the chocolate up and put into a heat proof bowl.
- place the bowl over a pan of boiling water.
- Simmer the water and melt the chocolate.
- One melted set aside to cool but not to long as it will start to set.
- Pour the cooled chocolate over the caramel layer and cut into 12 pieces.
- Place back in fridge to set.
- Enjoy 🙂