Macroni Cheese With Crispy Leeks And Bacon. A firm family favourite dish, made gourmet!
Preparation and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 350g dried macaroni pasta
- 100g streaky bacon, un-smoked, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 100g medium cheddar cheese, grated
- 15g parmesan cheese, grated
- 30g unsalted butter
- 30g plain flour
- 285ml whole milk
- 200g Rachel’s Greek Style natural set yogurt or Rachel’s crème fraiche
- 200g medium cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and black pepper
- Prepare the pasta according to the packet instructions in a large saucepan.
- Meanwhile, in a large frying pan fry the bacon until cooked through and crispy. To this, add the finely chopped leek. Once they are both cooked, take the pan from the heat and keep to one side.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan and then whisk in the flour. Mix until a smooth paste is formed.
- Little by little add the milk, with the pan still on the heat, whisking after each addition and until the milk is all incorporated. Add the yogurt or crème fraiche and cheese and continue to stir until the cheese is melted.
- Drain the cooked pasta and return to the saucepan, pour over the cheese sauce and toss well.
- Spoon the macaroni cheese into serving dishes and top with the reserved fried bacon and leek,and scatter with breadcrumbs, extra cheese and parmesan.
- Place the dishes under a hot grill for the cheese to melt and the topping to become nice & crisp.
About this post: This recipe was provided by Rachel’s. No Payment was received.