We love to make home made burgers. They are something me and my youngest son both have an interest in and can make together.
We have made a few different flavoured burgers over the last few years. Adding onions, crackers, mustard and all kinds of different flavours. Now we found that keeping the burgers simple and adding our own added tastes after, works best for everyone.
Makes 20 burgers
Makes 10 double muffins/buns
- 1 kg pack or 2x 500g packs of lean minced beef
- 2 eggs beaten
- Ground pepper
Rolls and toppings:
- 10 muffin/rolls or cobs
- 10 slices of bacon
- 10 cheese slices (I use sliced Gouda)
- Romaine heart lettuce, tomato, onion
- Your favourite sauces: e.g Relish, BBQ sauce, tomato sauce, mustard
- Place the mince beef into a big bowl, one that you only use for raw meats.
- Beat together 2 eggs and add to the meat. Mix it all together by hand, add some ground pepper and mix again.
- Grab a small handful and roll into a medium size ball (we made 20).
- If you have a burger press use now. If not like me get 2 plastic plates and place one upside down. Put the roll meat on top, place the other plate facing up on top of the burger,then squeeze together to flatten the burger.
- Fry, grill or oven cook. As we made 20 and I do not have a grill I popped them in a pre-heated oven for around 25 minutes, until cooked throughout. Cooking time depends on how many you make and how big they turn out.
- 15 minutes before burgers are cooked, put bacon on a tray and pop in oven so they finish cooking together.
- If using muffins, pop them in toaster to cook, chop salad and get all your sauces ready.
- Layer the muffin, cheese, bacon, 2 burgers, salad sauces and top of muffin up.
Do you like to make your own burgers?