Granny Smith’s Golden Delicious Tart.
This easy tart gives you two bites of the apple, by using a combination of South African Granny Smith and Golden Delicious varieties.
Using a circle of puff pastry, the apples are arranged haphazardly on top of a wonderful mixture of ground almonds, butter, sugar and egg for a sensational treat.
Granny Smith’s Golden Delicious Tart:
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
- 500g pack ready-to-roll puff pastry (not ready rolled)
- A little plain flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 20g butter, softened
- 50g caster sugar
- 150g ground almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 South African Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 South African Golden Delicious apples, cored and thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 20g toasted flaked almonds
- Crème fraiche or whipped double cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan oven 200°C, Gas Mark 7.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into a circle measuring roughly 35cm in diameter.
- Cut cleanly around the edges with a sharp knife. (Use an upturned dinner plate for a template). A clean-cut edge helps the puff pastry to rise well. Lift the pastry onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper, then score a border about 1cm from the edge, without cutting right through.
- Reserve about 1 tbsp of the beaten egg, then mix the remainder with the butter, sugar, ground almonds and vanilla extract. Spread evenly over the pastry, avoiding the border.
- Toss the apple slices in the lemon juice, then scatter them randomly over the surface of the tart, avoiding the border.
- Brush the border with the reserved beaten egg.
- Bake the tart for 20-25 minutes, until the pastry is risen and golden brown.
- Scatter the flaked almonds over the tart and serve whilst warm, with crème fraiche or whipped double cream.
- Another time, use a combination of South African apples and pears.
*Recipe and photograph by South Africa*
*No Payment was received*