Today I have a lovely treat to share with you:
Laetitia’s Lovely Plum Crumble Cake.
This delicious creation can be served hot as a pudding, or cold as a cake.
It’s made with a mixture of rolled oats, wholemeal self-raising flour, melted butter and muscovado sugar, layered with South African Laetitia plums.
The layers are repeated so that there’s a lovely colourful topping of fruit. It’s divine served with crème fraiche, cream, ice cream or thick Greek yogurt.
Laetitia’s Lovely Plum Crumble Cake:
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking: 40 minutes
Suitable for freezing
Suitable for vegetarians
- 250g rolled oats
- 150g light muscovado sugar, plus 1 tbsp
- 250g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1tsp ground mixed spice
- Pinch of salt
- 250g butter
- 500g South African Laetitia (red) plums, halved and pitted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Crème fraiche, cream, ice cream or Greek yogurt, to serve
How To Make:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line a 20cm (8 inch) loose-based cake tin.
- Mix together the rolled oats, sugar (reserving 1 tablespoon), flour, spice and salt. Melt the butter over a low heat and stir into the dry ingredients.
- Tip half the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Press down lightly.
- Mix the plums and lemon juice together and arrange about two-thirds in the cake tin.
- Sprinkle the remaining cake mixture on top and press down lightly.
- Scatter the rest of the plums on top, and sprinkle with the reserved tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until firm and golden brown. Cool for about 20-30 minutes, then remove from the tin.
- Carefully remove the lining paper.
- Serve warm or cold with crème fraiche, cream, ice cream or Greek yogurt.
- Look out for South African Songold (yellow) and Flavorking plums (purple) too – they would work well in this recipe too.
Recipe and photograph by South Africa.
Fancy trying this Laetitia’s Lovely Plum Crumble Cake recipe out?